Battle of Britain - Day 12

Ir em baixo

Battle of Britain - Day 12

Mensagem por Winston Churchill em Dom Jul 21, 2013 9:44 am

Day 12 – July 21st 1940
July 21, 2010 in 266 Squadron, July 1940
Weather: fine in the morning and fine in the evening but with cloud in the middle of the day.

FIGHTER COMMAND SERVICEABLE AIRCRAFT AS AT 0900 HOURS:

Blenheim – 65
Spitfire – 236
Hurricane – 309
Defiant – 21
Total – 620
Three squadrons of 11 Group clashed with 50 Me109s and Me110s as well as a gruppe of Dorniers over a convoy threading its way through the Straits of Dover. An Me109 was shot down. Then a British fighter was shot down by an Me109 which in turn was shot down by a Spitfire. The RAF that day flew 571 sorties and lost 6 aircraft which was just less than the German losses of 7 planes.

266 Squadron Operational Record Book, 21 July
Average temperature, bright and cloudy periods, visibility moderate. Flying 10 hours 20 minutes. B Flight at readiness, Ac Flight available. Practices included Beam attacks, formation, aerobatics, cine camera gun and local flying. Spitfire I aircraft R.6768 delivered to Squadron by Ferry Pool.

Today’s theme: Captains and Commanders – Sir Keith Park

"Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar. As the will of God is in Heaven, even so let it be."

"I will begin by saying what everybody would like to ignore or forget but which must nevertheless be stated, namely that we have sustained a total and unmitigated defeat, and France has suffered even more than we have....the German dictator, instead of snatching the victuals from the table, has been content to have them served to him course by course."
Winston Churchill

Ver perfil do usuário http://www.clubedosgenerais.org

Permissão deste fórum: